Tuesday, April 17, 2012

almost deju vu

We had our MFM appointment this morning.

I really tried to remain optimistic (even though I did throw my hospital bag in the car for good measure).  We started the appointment with a check of my cervical length.  I wasn't sure if it would get measured today.  The u/s tech indicated that today would probably be my last measurement.  Usually the cervical length check is stopped at 32 weeks. We got bad news all around in this particular area today.  I had a cervical length of 19 mm at our appointment four weeks ago (the day I was admitted to the hospital).  Today my cervix measured at 7 mm.  So it is still going in the wrong direction.   I can only imagine what it would be had I not been on bed rest for the past month.

The u/s tech continued the appointment with our growth u/s.  My favorite part!  Both boys look great!  At the moment Baby A is head down (or vertex) and Baby B is head up (or breech).  I think Baby B just turned last night.  I thought I felt a head up at my ribs this morning and I was right.  Both boys have hair (or peach fuzz as the u/s tech indicated) on their head!!!  And I thought I would get two baldy babies.  Baby A had a heart rate of 145 bpm and is weighing in at 3lbs 7oz.  Baby A had a heart rate of 147 bpm and is weighing in at 3lbs 8oz.  So both are growing in proportion to one another.  We were able to get some good u/s pictures of Baby A but Baby B had his face turned to my back the whole time so we didn't get any pictures of Baby B.  Though you could see Baby B continually stretching his entire leg out and kicking Baby A in the head.  It was cute.  When Baby B was not stretching out his leg he was all curled up in a tiny ball.  Baby A is seriously hogging all the space in the womb.

After the growth u/s the u/s tech indicated that the MFM might want to check me because of the short cervix so she told me to hold off on getting dressed.  Of course Kara and I proceeded to sit there for another 30 minutes.  I finally got super uncomfortable because I was laying on my back and I had to sit-up.  Finally the u/s tech came back and said the MFM wanted to put me on the monitor for a bit (sounding familiar???).  And guess what ... we went back to the exact same room as four weeks ago.  Yep.  I told Kara, "Can't they put us in another room?".   This time they did a NST (non-stress test).  A NST essentially makes certain that the baby will show an acceleration in heart rate speed anytime he is making movements.  The NST will also monitor contractions to make certain that the baby does not show any distress during a contraction.  Both Baby A and Baby B passed the stress test with flying colors.  They did a great job staying on the monitors and their heart rates varied according to movement.  The contractions on the other hand ... not so great but also not as bad as the last time I was on the monitor.  I had three contractions in a 30 minute period at exactly 10 minutes apart.  This is par for the course over the last month.  I have rarely had contractions more often than 10 minutes apart since I came home from the hospital.

The MFM came into the room to discuss our options.  The MFM initially wanted to admit me to the hospital again.  But wanted to discuss a few items before making that decision.  We made the decision in the end for me to return home on bed rest.  This decision was made for several reasons.  (1)  I live close to the hospital.  If for some reason something changes, I can be at the hospital in under 15 minutes (especially if Kara is driving).  (2) I always have someone no more than five minutes away from me that can take me to the hospital.  This means there would still be a possibility to stop labor should I go into active labor at home.  The only benefit to hospitalization would be that as soon as I told a nurse I was having an issue I could be put on a monitor and drugs could be used to stop labor.  However, we are only gaining a bit more time with choosing the hospitalization option.  (3) I would be much more comfortable and relaxed at home.  This is a benefit to both boys.  (4)  I have already had the steroid shots.  (5)  The MFM indicated he would put me on Procardia (to try and stop the contractions) should I be admitted to the hospital.  But I can also take the Procardia myself at home.  So in the end the MFM was in agreement that I could return home but with the directions to call as soon as anything changes in the slight bit.  I have become so in tune with my body that I really do believe that I will know when something is different with my body.  So how long until these boys are born??  No one can give me that answer.  I am still trying to remain hopeful that both boys continue to cook until at least 34 weeks.  A real possibility in my mind.  My brother and I were both born at 34 weeks and we turned out just fine!! (minus a big head on my part).  The MFM elected to not manually check my cervix for fear of disturbing the peace though he said he would bet at this point I would be dilated to at least 1 cm.  But he also indicated I could walk around at 1 cm for a very long time.  We got sent home with a prescription for Procardia that I am to take every 8 hours in an effort to reduce the contractions.

We are scheduled to go back for another NST on April 24th.  We also have another OB appointment on April 24th.  I believe I will be having weekly NSTs at this point.  So continue to send prayers in our direction.

Please keep growing boys and stay in my belly (stop looking for the exit Baby A)!!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment