Thursday, December 29, 2011

"stop kicking your brother"

I feel like I have so much to write about!

We had an OB appointment on December 28th.  Can I mention again how much I absolutely love this office?  I really did not think we would be able to find an OBs office that would compare to the REs office but I feel like we have hit the jackpot.  I will definitely be continuing my care with this OBs office after these babies are born. Our appointment was at 2:30pm and Kara and I were back in the car by 3:10pm!  Amazing!  The first part of the appointment was an u/s to check the length of my cervix.  This is really important in a multiple pregnancy because the chance of preterm labor is so much greater than in a singleton pregnancy.  Of course this u/s required me to take my pants off ... I've missed the wand! (not really)  My cervix looked great!  The u/s tech even pushed on my belly a number of times to see if my cervix would shorten with the added pressure and thankfully it did not shorten in the least bit.  Our wonderful u/s tech ended the u/s with the words, "Well I know you aren't scheduled for an abdominal u/s today but I really want to get a look at your babies so we will do one anyway." ... Love!!!  So we moved onto an abdominal u/s to get another peak at Baby A and Baby B.  Both babies were moving all around!  Baby A had a heartbeat of 158 bpm and Baby B had a heartbeat of 152 bpm.  And the best news ... we found out the sex of each baby!!  So without further ado I present to you ...

Baby A (our little boy)



Baby B (our little boy)


Baby B was doing a "Jersey Shore Fist Pump" in this picture!

Can you believe it?  Two boys!!!  We are beyond thrilled!  Of course there is some room for error but we got some fairly decent "money" shots.  We should be able to get final confirmation of the sexes over the next few weeks.  It is wonderful to finally be able to refer to each baby by name.  But don't get too excited as the names will remain a secret until the babies are born.  So to everyone else in the world Baby A is Apple and Baby B is Orange (Thanks Matt!).  At one point in the u/s you could see Baby A kicking Baby B and the u/s tech replied, "Hey! Stop kicking your brother!"  The u/s tech asked me if I was feeling any movement.  I have not.  She then mentioned that each baby had an anterior placenta.  That means the placenta has formed facing closest to my belly.  So it will probably be some time before I feel any movement because the placenta is acting as an extra cushion.  The u/s tech indicated that she had an anterior placenta too and she first felt movement about 22 weeks.  This is a bit of a bummer but as long as the kiddos are healthy I will learn to deal with it!

We met with the OB after our u/s to do my annual exam (we will leave the details of this out).  Fun!  This meant I got dressed after the u/s.  Then moved to another exam room and got undressed once again.  Did I mention it was 500 degrees in the office?  I was sweating!  I have gained about four lbs since my last OB appointment four weeks ago.  The OB seemed pleased with the weight gain.  My blood pressure was a bit high at 130/70 but considering the stress of the moment and the fact I was moving around so much I'm not too concerned.  I did mention the headaches to my OB and she was a bit concerned about the fact that the headaches did not seem to ever completely disappear.  She gave me a prescription for some pain medicine (simply an increased dosage of Tylenol) and told me to take it if the headaches got unmanageable.  The good news is the headaches have somewhat decreased over the last few days.  This goes for the nausea too.  However, I'm glad to just have something on hand should the headache get unbearable.  Otherwise the OB was pleased with how things were progressing.

We then moved to the OBs office for the remainder of the appointment.  I appreciated the fact that I did not have to sit and discuss our future plan of action while sitting naked in a paper gown!  It is much easier to talk to the OB with clothes on!  I asked for more details on the results of our 1st Trimester genetic screening.  The risks for each baby in terms of Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome) and Trisomy 18 is less than 1 in greater than 10,000.  So super low!  So we will have another OB appointment on January 10th to complete our 2nd Trimester genetic screening.  This is only comprised of b/w that will test multiple markers to indicate any risk for certain genetic conditions or birth defects.  The OB also mentioned we would do the normal blood pressure check / urinalysis / weight check as well as get a listen to the heartbeats.  I'm not sure if that will be done via u/s or via fetal doppler.  Either way ... as long as I get to hear the heartbeats!  We will then schedule an appointment for about two weeks later with MFM to get our level 2 u/s completed.  This is the big u/s that usually takes place around 20 weeks.

So that is all for the moment!

Please keep growing little ones.

Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment