Monday, August 27, 2012

a weekend of firsts

We made the decision to put together some new "toys" this weekend.  And the boys had a blast!  We bought the Fisher Price Rainforest Jumperoo and the Evenflo Splash Mega Exersaucer was given to us as a gift.  The big hit is the jumperoo!  The boys are a bit too small to do any actual jumping at the moment.  But both love to hangout and watch the television in the jumperoo.  Yes.  The boys watch television.  I don't believe at this point in time the television is any different than the lights on a playmat.  They just love to watch the movement and the colors.  Yesterday we were watching preseason football and Jakob was enamored by the action for a really long time.  I knew he was getting tired because he kept rubbing his eyes and yawning but every time I tried to take him out of the jumperoo and put him down to take a nap he would cry and cry. We put a pillow under their feet and every once in a while they will get the bouncing action down.  I don't think they know they are making the jumperoo move with their feet but they love when it goes up and down. There is also a rattle on the jumperoo that the boys can spin and both boys loved doing that yesterday.  I really think they are getting close to grabbing object.

Here is a picture of Alex checking out the new jumperoo.



And here is a picture of Jakob checking out the new exersaucer.


They are too cute!! Right??

We also took the boys out to a sit-down restaurant for the first time!  I was a bit nervous.  We took them to breakfast at the Cracker Barrel.  Kara and I are huge breakfast fans and we have missed our typical weekend breakfast out.  And actually we had not eaten breakfast together in a restaurant since before I went on bedrest!!  Yikes.  That was over 5 months ago!  So we hit up Cracker Barrel ... The boys did good.  They started to get fussy in their car seats simply because they wanted to be able to see the action.  We gave them a bottle at the restaurant and held them for a bit too.  I think Kara got the raw end of the deal though because she was responsible for Jakob who got fussy right when our food arrived.  Otherwise they did good.  We did get asked, "Who do they belong to?" for the first time at the restaurant.  I was paying the bill at the time so I did not hear this question come from a complete stranger (which still baffles me that strangers ask such questions).  I guess Kara responded to the question with, "They are hers." So it wasn't exactly as we had planned our response to such a question to be.  However, as Kara told me afterwards, "We have to pick and chose our battles." and she is 100% right in this situation.  The boys are not old enough to process her response to the question.  Plus we were eating breakfast in a not so "open" part of town.  So all things considered I'm okay with the response at the moment.  I always laugh though because I'm sure the stranger then looked over at me and suddenly felt sorry for "The girl with no wedding ring on that looks like she is 12 years old and raising two newborn twins on her own!"

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment