Tuesday, August 7, 2012

let's talk about food

I have never been so hungry in my entire life!  I knew when I started pumping for the boys that I would need to consume extra calories.  But I figured the extra calorie intake would be similar to the calories I needed when I was pregnant.  Wrong!  I'm not certain how accurate the statistic (because Google is never wrong) but I believe for every ounce of milk I pump I burn 20 calories.  This means on average I need to consume an extra 1200 calories a day to just break even.  That alone is similar to my total daily calorie intake prior to getting pregnant.  I am down to my pre-pregnancy weight and as a result I really don't want to lose any additional weight.  I'm trying my best to maintain my current weight.  I also notice that if I reduce my calorie requirements during any given day my milk supply drops.  This is crazy.  And believe me ... I don't just eat to eat.  I eat because I am starving.  So I thought it would be fun to document for historical purposes what I ate yesterday.  Prepare to be shocked ...

breakfast nuts to go (2 packets)
nutri-grain bar
oatmeal in a jar (includes oatmeal, skim milk, greek yogurt, banana, chia seeds)
a bag of craisins (yes I ate an entire bag thank goodness these have been on sale for 3 for $5)
a 1/2 of a turkey sandwich
string cheese
1/2 a sleeve of graham crackers
two major milk making cookies
about 1 cup of a casserole dish (rice, black beans, corn, chicken, jalapenos)
two no bake cookie bars
about a 1/4 cup of honey roasted peanuts
about 1/2 cup of macaroni salad
about 1/4 cup of ham salad

Yep.  I ate it all.  Every single bite!  And I could be missing something ...

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment