Sunday, December 30, 2012

christmas eve

I'll begin with Christmas Eve (aka. The Night of Our Tiny Miracle).

Kara and I had originally planned to stay-in on Christmas Eve and just relax with our little family.  My parents (and older brother) would be going to spend Christmas Eve with my twin brother and his family.  They would then spend Christmas Day at our home.  But then a couple of weeks before Christmas I got a text message from my sister-in-law inviting us over on Christmas Eve.  And by "us" I mean Kara was also invited to their home.  A first.  Needless to say I nearly fell off my chair.  Of course Kara and I could not decline the invitation (for many many reasons) but we were a bit worried as everyone was not getting together until 7:00pm.  And that is when the boys go to bed.  I was really nervous that the boys would be super fussy.  Kara and I decided to leave the house around 5:30pm and drive around town to look at the Christmas lights.  Because the boys always fall asleep in the car this would give them a decent nap before the events started for the evening.  I was a nervous wreck.  But then I decided to just let things be.  There should be no grand expectations for the night.  And once I relaxed things seemed to go just fine.  Things were a bit "awkward" but thankfully little kids can ease the tension in any room.  I know my mother was beyond thrilled to finally have all her grandchildren in the same room at the same time.  It only took 7 months.  My brother and sister-in-law went above and beyond to make a wonderful meal which we all enjoyed a great deal. The boys did just great!  We even managed to get lots of good pictures.  I wish I could share those pictures with you all but for privacy reasons I obviously cannot do that.  Just know that each picture made my heart very happy.  It was neat to watch my nephew zoom all around the room during the evening.  He is a little spitfire.  And super smart.  And then I realized ... I will have two spitfires at the same time.  Oh Lord!!  I'm going to be exhausted!!  The boys hung tough for a couple of hours.  My favorite part of the evening came as we were leaving for the night.  I was sitting on the stairs putting on my shoes when my nephew came down from upstairs.  I asked my nephew if I could have a hug.  I knew this would be a stretch for any two-year old.  But this is a two-year old who does not really know who I am.  And without a second thought my nephew wrapped his arms around me.  And I did my best to squeeze tight for just a few extra seconds.  I hope it's not the last hug.  But I just don't know what is going to happen with the relationship with my twin brother.  I know this was a good first step.  And I just hope it continues in the right direction.  But for at least one evening I felt like my family was complete.  And it was rather perfect.

Mary 

No comments:

Post a Comment