Saturday, December 15, 2012

12.14.12

I was at work yesterday and I got this picture from Kara. 


It was a perfect picture.  I promptly sent the picture to Grandma and Grandpa with the words, "How does this not make the world seem perfect in the morning?"  It was 8:00 am.

But the world was not perfect.  There was a monster man in Connecticut who was preparing to ruin the lives of innocent children.  A man with so much evil running through his body that he did not hesitate to take the life of a helpless child.  To take the lives of a room full of helpless children.  What caused the evil?  I don't know.  And at the moment I will be honest and say that I do not care.  We can debate the facts later.  Today I only speak as a mother.   

I received a text message from Kara at 11:17 am "What the hell is wrong with people?  There was another school shooting at an elementary school."

I will be honest.  I did not respond to the text message.  I've become numb to such news.    

I NEVER in a million years thought that there was a room full of dead children somewhere in an elementary school in the United States.  I thought domestic violence.  Another dead teacher.  Let's move on with the day.    

But then I went home for lunch.  And the newscasters were getting very nervous.  And then it happened ... The world stopped spinning and for a moment I heard nothing but "20 children dead".

I held the boys tighter.  I cried.  Kara cried.  I was scared out of my mind.  How do I raise my boys in an evil world?  How do I one day but a book bag over their shoulders and send them off into the world?  How do I promise them that there is safety in the classroom?  How do I get up in the morning and not expect another tragedy to occur?  

I cannot imagine the pain of the parents who lost a child (or children) yesterday.  I do not think I would be able to live.  I told Kara that yesterday.  Her response, "I know."  

I pray for the children.  I pray for the families.  I pray for their souls.  I pray that the fear they experienced and the pain that they felt is long forgotten.  I pray that yesterday God welcomed a classroom of precious children into the kingdom of heaven with open arms.  I envision these children running free today.  They are free from a world of hate.

Mary  

3 comments:

  1. I share your thoughts in this tragedy. I can't imagine the pain these parents are feeling. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a moving, beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. It is devestating and so sad to think about all of the people affected by such tragedy.
    Your boys are so incredibly adorable and smiley! Wishing you, Kara and your beautiful babes a very Merry Christmas!
    Xoxox
    Maria

    ReplyDelete