Tuesday, January 1, 2013

christmas day

We woke-up on Christmas Day and ate a delicious breakfast!!!  Well Kara and I ate the breakfast and the boys got some yummy pureed peaches.  Next year I am sure the boys will be digging in right along side us.

I really wanted to take the boys to Christmas mass with Grandma and Grandpa.  This is important to me.  But I was worried that we wouldn't be able to get out the door in time before the 10am service.  I knew the boys would need a nap.  But surprisingly, with Kara's help, we were out the door by 9am.  This gave the boys some time to take a brief nap in the car.  The boys did great during mass.  Not a peep.  I think they were mesmerized by all the people.  I'm sure we caused a few heads to turn during the service (this was the church I attended when I was a child) but I was able to put all my nerves to the side and simply enjoy Christmas mass with my boys.  I hope we can continue this tradition in the coming years.  Kara and I still don't know what we are going to do in terms of teaching our religious beliefs to the boys but I want Christmas mass to be a tradition.  I need the boys to know the true reason behind Christmas Day.

Kara did not feel comfortable attending Christmas mass but it actually all worked out in the end because she got a few hours in a quiet house to get ready for Christmas dinner.  But I really did miss having her by my side.  My parents, brother, and Aunt and Uncle came over in the early afternoon for a delicious meal.  Kara went above and beyond to put some wonderful food on the table.  The boys were sleeping when everyone arrived but of course awoke shortly after all the noise started coming from downstairs.  They couldn't miss the party.  We just spent the afternoon enjoying each others company.  The boys were spoiled by their relatives.  I keep imagining next year when they have a better understanding of gifts.  It will be crazy.

We spent the remainder of the day just spending time as a family.  Because it is a rarity for all of us to be together because of our work schedules it was just really nice to relax together without having anywhere to go.  Overall it was a perfect Christmas Day.

All the celebrating wore out Grandpa and Alex ...


Mary

1 comment:

  1. So nice you got to take the boys to mass and begin the tradition you loved as a child! I'm glad it was a wonderful Christmas! Happy New Year...wishing you an amazing 2013! Xoxox
    Maria

    ReplyDelete