Friday, March 30, 2012

OB appointment

We had an appointment with the OB yesterday.  I think overall it was a successful appointment.  I felt as if Kara and I got all our questions answered and we developed a game plan for the remainder of the pregnancy.

The appointment was fairly straightforward.  I got the normal weight check and blood pressure check.  I have lost three pounds (according to their scale) but I think that is only because I was in a sweatshirt and shoes the last time I got weighed at the OB office.  I was in a t-shirt and flip-flops yesterday afternoon.  My blood pressure was a bit high at 130/70.  However, I was a bit stressed at the office and I was doing more activity than I had done in over a week.  Getting dressed can wear a girl out!!  So I don't think the OB was concerned at all.  I am measuring at 32 weeks (we were 28 weeks yesterday) and both boys sounded good on the fetal doppler.  So our plan of action ...

Bed rest.  Bed rest.  Bed rest.  It seems to be doing good things for the contractions.  The reduced activity has kept the contractions to a minimum.  The OB indicated that the office had received the short term disability paperwork from my insurance company and they would fill it out as soon as possible.  The OB thinks at this point continuing to monitor my cervical length via u/s would not be beneficial.  We now know that I was having "real" contractions as opposed to braxton hicks contractions.  These contractions were probably what was causing my cervix to shorten in size.  Plus I was active all the time and the extra weight from the boys was not great for my cervix.  We have minimized the contractions and I am on bed rest.  Both of these should help to prolong the life of my cervix.  Plus my OB said that any numbers obtained from the u/s would only increase my stress level.  I agree.  This does not mean that the MFM will not check my cervical length at our next growth u/s but my OB will not be checking it in the meantime.  I'm okay with this.  I am just to immediately call the OB if the contractions become regular at any point.

The OB did indicate that she would probably do a fFN (fetal fibronectin) test at my next OB appointment.  I believe that fetal fibronectin is essentially the "glue" that attaches the placenta to the uterus.  Therefore, as the placenta starts to pull away from the uterine lining the fetal fibronectin gets released and can be indicative of labor starting in the next 7 to 10 days.  However, a positive test result is actually inconclusive to a certain degree because this protein can be released without leading to labor.  I believe if a positive test result is received it just prompts the doctor to take other steps to see if preterm labor is imminent.  However, a negative test result would actually be a good indicator that labor is not likely within the next 7 to 10 days.  So we shall see.

The OB was very proud of my monitoring of my blood sugar levels.  However, it does appear based upon my numbers that I do have gestational diabetes.  So there is no need to do the three hour glucose tolerance test.  I am just to keep checking my blood sugar four times a day and I have to bring a list of my numbers to each OB appointment.  

We are due to go back to the OB on April 3rd and April 10th.  The OB will also be scheduling my next growth u/s with the MFM office.  This will probably be sometime around April 17th.

That is all for now!

Please keep growing boys and stay in my belly!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment