Sunday, January 22, 2012

18w3d

How Far Along: 18w3d

Milestones: Your baby is the size of a sweet potato.  His is about 5.6 inches long and weighs about 6.7 ounces.

Total Weight Gain:  Growth Spurt!  I am up a total of 9.8 lbs.

Maternity Clothes: I am in all maternity pants now (with the exception of my sweatpants).  I can fit into both non-maternity shirts and maternity shirts.  I am starting to eye Kara's side of the closet ... !!!

The belly shot from this week ...



Sleep: Urgh.  This is still my biggest issue.  I am now back to five regular pillows.  I have tossed aside the pregnancy pillow I bought.  I tend to wake-up several times during the night because my hips hurt.  I also tend to get more braxton hicks contractions at night so those wake me up too.  I then have a really hard time falling back to sleep.

Best Moment of the Week: I got my first non-family belly rub from a coworker.  That took me by surprise.  But I do look pregnant now.  A lot of my coworkers are very excited about this pregnancy and it really does make me feel good.  This is especially true because I am so worried about carrying these little ones for nine months.  I have one coworker who asks me every morning, "How are the boys today?" and it makes my heart smile each and every time.  I am not use to being the center of attention so it has been difficult for me to get use to constant questions about my pregnancy.  But I wouldn't trade it for the world.  The more positive vibes being sent our way the better.

This probably does not fall under the "best moment of the week" category but it should be documented because this is my pregnancy blog.  I had b/w done at my last OB appointment to measure the level of alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) in my blood.  The amount of AFP in the blood of a pregnant woman can help determine the likelihood of neural tube defects such as spina bifida and anecephaly.  The test can also be used to determine the likelihood of other chromosomal problems.  Because I am pregnant with twins the level of AFP in my blood will automatically be a bit higher.  I have been told though that the results are evaluated on a different scale as a result of the multiple pregnancy.  I received a call from my OB this week (of course it can never be good when the OB calls you directly) and she indicated that the results of my AFP b/w were "Not good.  Not good at all."  (this is where my heart dropped a bit).  I immediately asked for the "numbers" but the OB did not want to give them to me.  There is a chance the test results could be inaccurate and the OB does not want me to worry unnecessarily at this point.  The OB contacted the MFM who indicated that because both babies were measuring a week ahead at our 13 week u/s appointment that the results could be inaccurate because my due date is being used as opposed to the gestational age of the babies based on size.  There will be more AFP in my blood if the babies are measuring bigger.  The OB indicated the results are not bad if my due date is shortened by a week.  The OB wants the level II u/s to be completed to get accurate measurements.  Because I already had a level II u/s scheduled for this coming week we decided to wait until that appointment.  The MFM will then redraw my blood to test the AFP again.  The whole thing has stressed me out.  However, I know that should I not have elected to have this test done we would not think anything was wrong at the moment.  So that is the mindset I am trying to operate under on a daily basis.  The level II u/s will also give us a better idea of any "markers" that can be attributed to a chromosomal problem.

Sex: We think two boys.  We should get confirmation at our level II u/s this week.

Food Cravings:  I am still craving red meat.  I have also rediscovered my love for ice cream which I lost early in this pregnancy.  Otherwise I don't have too many cravings.  I am starting to realize that I cannot eat a large meal in one sitting.  I do much better with smaller meals throughout the day.  I still love my orange juice in the morning.

Food Aversions: Nope.

Symptoms: I actually had a fairly decent week.  I still get the occasional headache but for the most part the prescription medication seems to be helping a bit.  The braxton hicks contractions seemed to subside for about a week but yesterday they returned with a vengeance.  I had the braxton hicks contractions on and off the entire day.  However, I never had more than two an hour so I tried not to worry too much (yeah right).  The seem to be better today.  I am still going to bring it up with the MFM at this week's appointment.  I am terrified of pre-term labor.  I will also get another cervical length u/s at the appointment this week so that will help us determine if these contractions are impacting my cervix at all.  

Upcoming Events: We have our MFM appointment on January 24th.  Please send any positive vibes you can spare in our direction.  I am extremely nervous about this appointment.  It is an important one.

Please keep growing little ones (and stay in my belly)!!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment