Saturday, January 14, 2012

17w2d

How Far Along: 17w2d

Milestones: The baby continues to beef up.  He is now about 5.1 inches long and weighs about 5.9 ounces. His rubbery cartilage is now turning to bone.  And he is growing some meat on those bones by putting on some fat.  He is growing stronger and a thicker umbilical cord too.

Total Weight Gain:  I am up a total of 7.6 lbs.  So I gained exactly one pound this week.  That seems to be on track.

Maternity Clothes:  Yep! Yep! Yep!  I pulled out the maternity jeans.  They are so comfortable.  I had a hard time finding jeans that fit me.  Kara and I went to Destination Maternity last week and they actually sell maternity jeans in petite.  And they fit perfect!  We will probably be back to the store more than one time before this pregnancy is over.  I am still in all non-maternity shirts but things are getting tight.

Here is the belly shot for this week ...


Sleep: It is okay.  I am doing better about sleeping on my side.  But I tend to wake-up at least every couple of hours due to hip pain.  I bought a pregnancy wedge pillow (only $10 an alternative to a full pregnancy that runs about $60).  I slept with it for the first time last night and it was actually really comfortable.  So I am now up to five pillows in bed.  I sleep with two pillows under my head (this is a change), the wedge pillow under my belly, a pillow between my legs and then a pillow behind my back (this keeps me from flipping over on my back).


Best Moment of the Week: We had an OB appointment this week.  It was fairly straightforward.  We did the normal urinalysis, weight check and blood pressure measurement.  My blood pressure was 132/70.  It is a bit high.  However, it was about the same as my appointment two weeks ago.  It might be my new pregnancy normal blood pressure.  We then met with the OB.  I inquired about the braxton hicks contractions and the OB indicated that they are totally normal.  Most woman typically feel braxton hicks contractions beginning late in the 2nd trimester.  However, because I am measuring bigger with the twins I will feel the braxton hicks contractions sooner.  I am also on the petite size.  There is really no belly fat between my skin and my uterus so I will feel my uterus hardening more than a woman with a bit of extra padding.  It all made sense.  The OB said to call the office if I experience more than five contractions an hour.  We then got to hear the heartbeats via fetal doppler.  It was actually really neat.  It was the first time we had actually heard the heartbeats.  Baby A had a heart rate of 153 bpm and Baby B had a heart rate of 127 bpm.  The OB indicated both heart rates were normal.  It was cute because Baby B actually kicked while the OB was looking for the heartbeat and you could hear it on the microphone.  The OB asked, "Did you feel that?" ... but sadly I have yet to feel any movement.  That was the appointment in a nutshell.  We go back to the OB in four weeks.

Sex:  We still think BOYS!

Food Cravings:  I don't really have any new cravings.  I still managed to eat Subway this week!  I am still just eating a lot.  I tend to do better eating a lot of small meals.  I am typically putting something in my mouth at least every hour.  We did make beef tacos this week which I have not had since I was a kid.  They were delicious.  I am still loving my morning orange juice.  The boys are going to come out addicted to orange juice.

Food Aversions: None

Symptoms:  The braxton hicks contractions have been fewer in number this week.  That relieves me a bit.  I started to experience some RLP.  This tends to occur if I turn over really fast at night.  It feels like someone is stabbing me in the lower abdomen.  I guess it is actually the round ligament (the muscle that holds the uterus up) just contracting due to sudden movement.  I have also woke-up a couple of times this week especially nauseous.  I think I might be getting too hot sleeping at night.  I still have the headaches.  They are not quite as frequent but they still exist.  Today I have had a dozy of a headache and the prescription medication did not even touch it today.  Not cool.  I hope it will be gone in the morning.

Upcoming Events:  We have an MFM appointment on January 24th and our next OB appointment is on February 7th.

Please keep growing little ones.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment