Thursday, May 23, 2013

Happy Birthday Alex!

Dear Alex-

I cannot believe my little boy is 1 year old!

We gave you the nickname "Turtle" when you were first born.  Your Mommy gave you the nickname because you would stretch your neck out really long and it looked like a turtle popping out of its shell.  See?


You look just like a Turtle!  But it's weird.  Now as a 1-year-old toddler you still have a lot of "Turtle" characteristics but at the same time you have a very stubborn and spunky side to you.  And I'm not sure that is very "Turtle"-like.  So how do you still act like a "Turtle"?  

It takes you awhile to warm up to people.  You are not necessarily frightened of new people.  You are just curious about them.  You need time to watch a new person.  You want to learn about that person.  And you will just sit with a very pensive look on your face until you decide it is time to make the first move.  It's almost as if you are trying to learn that person's interests.  And then you will stick your neck out of your shell to play.  And then there are times where you refuse to come out of your shell at all.  If we are putting you in a situation that makes you uncomfortable you will lay down on the floor on your tummy and look at us as if to say, "No one asked me if I wanted to come here.  I didn't want to come.  So I'm not looking at anyone.  And I don't care what you think about it." That my son would be your stubborn side.  So maybe a Turtle is stubborn.  This is exactly what you do ...


You are very adventurous when prompted by someone else.  You are not going to be the first person to try something on your own.  But if someone you trust dares you to do it.  Then my little boy you always have a blast. No fear. And even though smiles and giggles were a rarity in the beginning from my quiet boy you now laugh more freely.  And it is the sweetest little giggle in the entire world.  You really love to swing at the park.  You would swing all day long if we let you.  And this is where your adventurous side shines through because as we swing you back and forth I can see you thinking about how we could make this time even more fun.  You are a thinker.  And then usually you end up trying to stand up in the swing.  Just like you like to do acrobatic moves in your highchair.  And then swing time comes to a prompt end.

  

Did I mention you like to scream?  So NOT "Turtle"-like.  I'm not sure when you learned the whole concept of screaming to communicate your feelings to us.  But guess what?  It works.  We can only take the screaming for so long and eventually you win and winning typically means you get carried around the house the rest of the day.  Do you know how hard it is to carry an 18 lb toddler around the house while trying to mop the floor?  It's quite the task.  And usually you just giggle away.  You know you are making life a bit more difficult and that just thrills you to pieces.  You also recently went through a screaming phase at bedtime.  And you threw in vomiting for good measure too.  Yep.  Mama did not enjoy those few nights when you decided that "sleep was for babies" and you would rather be up having fun with Mama.  So after screaming your lungs out for 45 minutes I would reach my breaking point and come into the nursery to comfort you.  And then you quickly learned that screaming was not enough.  Because while I would come into the nursery I would not pick you up.  So then the next night you learned that if you made yourself vomit when I came into the nursery you would get automatically picked up.  And not only that but Mama would put you on the floor to get you changed into new pajamas.  And then you got to crawl away really fast and play with all your toys.  Oh my very, very, very smart little boy.  You got me.

Did I mention that you were the quietest newborn ever?  So that's changed just a bit!

And my scrawny little boy you have finally put on the muscle!  What happened to this scrawny newborn?


You have grown big boy and you were solidly on the growth chart at your pediatrician appointment. And your Mommy and I were shocked because you are sometimes a very uninterested eater.  Why?  Because just like sleep you don't have time to eat when there is a world to explore.  But you do like your milk so I think that has helped us in the weight department.  Otherwise if it was up to you your diet would consist of yogurt, cheerios, and graham crackers.

You also love to stand at the window and watch the squirrels and the birds (and occasional bunny rabbit).  You will just laugh and laugh as the animals run in the backyard.  Your love for animals extends to your enthusiasm for your doggy brother and sister too.  You absolutely love to play with Leo and Gretel.  You will chase Leo all over the living room and just giggle away.  You will even throw the ball to Leo.  Did I mention you have a hell of a throw for a toddler?  You do.  I see baseball in your future.  You also love to feed Leo and Gretel your snacks.  Again you would rather play then actually eat your food.  I love to see your passion for the animals Alex.  That makes your Mommy and I very excited for the years of fun that are bound to come our way.

I am so excited to watch you grow this year Alex.  I am so very proud of all you have accomplished this year.  And always remember my world became complete when the doctor first told us "How about a two-something?"  because that "two-something" was you my precious little boy.  And I simply could not imagine my life without you in it.  You are amazing.

Love, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment