Friday, November 16, 2012

things that go bump in the night

Let's set the scene ...

It is 2:15am.  I have just stumbled back up the stairs after a super exciting middle of the night pumping session.  It is my job to give Jakob a "dream feed" at 2:30am in order to guarantee that Kara can sleep until at least 6:30am.  I enter the dark bedroom and all is quiet.  I walk over to the dresser and pick-up Jakob's bottle.  It is empty.  Crap.  That means Jakob woke-up while I was downstairs pumping and Kara had to feed him.  That means less sleep for Kara.  So I crawl back to bed and Kara stirs ...

Me: "Sorry."
Kara: "That's okay."
Me: "Was he really hungry?"
Kara: "Yes."
Me: "Weird."

We both promptly fall back to sleep.

It is now 4:00am and Jakob is starting to fuss.  Or as we like to say in our household, "The beast is stirring."  I kind of ignore his noises for a few minutes.  And then I just get plain frustrated.  Jakob just ate.  How in the world is he hungry? The following conversation takes place ...

Me (to Kara): "Are his eyes open?"
Kara: "Yeah.  He's probably hungry."
Me: "He just ate."
Kara: "You fed him?"
Me: "Um? No.  You told me you fed him."
Kara: "No I didn't.  When did I tell you that?"
Me: "An hour ago.  And the bottle is empty. Who did you feed?"
Kara: "I didn't feed anyone.  That was the bottle you gave Jakob before you went to bed."
Me: "Crap.  Why do we have a baby that eats so much?"

So it is back downstairs I go to make another bottle for Jakob.  And how did I forget to bring the two bottles upstairs before bed?  What makes the story even funnier is that as I was climbing the stairs to go to bed that night I had even thought to myself, "I'm missing something" ... yep ...  I was missing Jakob's other bottle.

But again the most important question ... Why do I go upstairs each night with 2 bottles for Jakob and 0 bottles for Alex??

Mary

2 comments:

  1. This is a classic example of new moms not getting sleep! I know that feeling. When you thought you did something and then you realize you didn't. Its maddening. This was a cute little post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) "the beast is stirring" - too cute...my friend tells me stories of waking up to feed and her almost six month old...she says sometimes she's so tired, she barely remembers feeding him. Wishing you and Kara a few more zzz's and a very happy Thanksgiving. Xoxox
    Maria

    ReplyDelete