Monday, October 15, 2012

new adventures

Alex found his foot this weekend.  But only his left foot.  The poor boy doesn't know that he has a right foot too!!  He spent most of the weekend perfectly content sitting on the couch and grabbing for his foot.  He even has scratches on his leg as proof of his determination.  I think he was excited when we put him in pants yesterday because he could grab onto his pant leg and pull his foot to his hand with even more ease.  I did manage to get a quick picture.



And not to leave Mr. Jakob out of the weekend of new adventures.  Jakob learned that he could make noises while blowing bubbles with his mouth.  We are so proud.  So while Alex was sitting on the couch investigating his foot and quite possibly doing math problems in his head we had Jakob on the other end of the couch making a mess with his spit!!  The best part ... Jakob would make a bunch of noises and slobber all over himself and then just suddenly bust out in laughter.  He cracks himself up!!  Could they be any different?

The boys are also discovering one another.  I think because they can grab now they like to reach out for each other.  There was a time yesterday when Alex spent a good 30 minutes just staring at Jakob.  He had this look of confusion on his face the entire time.  I'm sure he was thinking many different things about his brother such as ...

"Hey!  You look like me."
"Geez.  Don't you ever shut-up?"
"Buddy!  You don't have to cry all the time."
"Will you play with me?"
"We just ate 20 minutes ago.  You cannot possibly be hungry again."
"If you spent more time reading a good book and less time making so much noise you probably wouldn't be in that predicament." (in response to Jakob getting his foot stuck in his toy for the hundredth time)

We are three days into the grand adventure of sweet potatoes.  And the boys seem to be tolerating them for the most part.  Our best day was yesterday when there was some actual eating of the sweet potatoes as opposed to spitting them out all over the place and taking our hand and rubbing them all over our face.  Dare I say Jakob even seemed to enjoy them yesterday??

Speaking of Jakob ... we are in the middle of some serious sleep regression and unfortunately I think we are creating some bad habits.  And we need to break them as soon as possible or we are going to be in some serious trouble.  I'm not sure if Jakob is waking up because he is hungry or because he knows that we will pick him up and let him sleep with us until it is bottle time.  I'm starting to think he just wants to be held.  Because if he was truly hungry he would not fall back to sleep.  But as soon as you pick him up and let him sleep on your chest he falls back to sleep.  And he loves it.  And I have a problem because I do not sleep at all when Jakob is sleeping on Kara's chest (which is were he always is).  I am terrified of something happening so of course I wake-up every 15 minutes to check if he is still breathing.  And then in order for it to be somewhat "safer" we kick all the covers off the bed if Jakob is in bed with us.  So then I lay in bed full of anxiety because I think Jakob is going to smoother himself and I am freezing because we have no blankets on the bed.  It is not a good situation.  But at the same time I know that Kara absolutely loves to cuddle with Jakob.  She has mentioned it more than once.  We just need to figure out another way to get cuddle time!!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment