Tuesday, June 12, 2012

one month old

The boys are one month old today!!!



I was suppose to have my postpartum appointment today.  The appointment was scheduled for 9:00 am and of course we wanted to bring the boys to the appointment as my OB did not deliver the boys and thus has never met them.  This requires us to move quickly in the morning and after a horrible night with Mr. Jakob it was rough to get going this morning.  We managed to get everyone ready for the appointment and five minutes before we were due to head out the door the office called to cancel our appointment.  Really??  But we all took showers and the boys even got a bath yesterday.  Now what?  Needless to say we were exhausted and a bit cranky about the situation.  We made the most of the bad news and took a two mile walk around the neighborhood.  We had a really good time.  The boys love to be in the stroller.  So now I get to call and reschedule the appointment.

Time for some updates ...

Jakob -



Oh Mr. Jakob.  We are still struggling quite a bit with Mr. Jakob.  I really believe the zantac is helping to improve his stomach issues but we really struggle to calm Jakob down at nighttime.  It is typical for Jakob to be wide-awake from 8pm to Midnight (or 1 am on a bad night).  Jakob does not spend the entire time crying (which is why I do not believe it is colic) but he will get himself calmed down and asleep for five minutes and then suddenly wake-up screaming at the top of his lungs.  He just seems to be in pain.  Eventually he will fall asleep from total exhaustion.  And then I have to go and wake him up for his next feeding.  I hate that part!  Jakob tends to sleep really well from 3am - 5am.  Jakob is growing like a weed.  I will be anxious to see what both boys weigh at our pediatrician appointment next week.  We are using the last of the Preemie disposable diapers (when the boys are not in cloth diapers at night) and both boys can actually fit into Newborn disposable diapers.  Some of the newborn cloths are starting to get tight on Jakob.  Jakob is now eating 2 ounces (60 mL) every three hours.  Jakob is not a fan of tummy time but if he is laying on your chest he will turn his head back and forth like crazy.  Jakob is still a world-champion burper.  You don't even have to touch him to get him to burp!  I don't think I have mentioned this before but Jakob makes the loudest noises in his sleep.  I wonder if this is related to the stomach issues.  It is hilarious to watch Jakob sleep and grunt over and over again.  I am getting better at ignoring the grunts and groans.  I only get concerned when I hear a scream.  Jakob has also found his thumb ...


This means that the pacifier is often getting rejected.  I am okay with a thumb sucker.  I am okay with anything that get Jakob to calm down for a few minutes.

Alex -


I think Alex knows that we are worried about Jakob so he spends all his time being as good as possible.  Kara and I often joke how easy life would be if Alex was an only child.  Of course we wouldn't trade Jakob for the world!  Alex is also eating 2 ounces (60 mL) every three hours.  He will gulp down a bottle faster than you can blink.  He is also not very interested in burping.  There are many feedings where we never get a burp out of Alex.  Alex still loves to be on his tummy and read his black and white book.  Alex hates to be naked which makes bath time and diaper changes a lot of fun.  But as soon as you put clothes on him he is totally calm.  Alex loves his pacifier.  He will get fussy if he wants his pacifier and can't find it but as soon as you put it in his mouth he is content.  He is also really good with keeping the pacifier in his mouth.  I will sometimes put the pacifier in his mouth at bedtime and wake up two hours later and Alex will still have the pacifier in his mouth.  Alex is catching up in weight to his brother.  This often makes it more difficult to tell the two boys apart from one another.  We will forget about the time that I gave Jakob's bottle (which had his zantac in it) to his brother Alex because I got them mixed up!

There is probably more to talk about but I will save that for a later date.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment