Saturday, June 2, 2012

3 weeks old

The boys are three weeks old today!

Things seem to be getting a bit better for us all.  I hesitate to type that statement because I fear it will open a can of worms.  If I have learned anything its that things change minute to minute.

We just had our best moment of the day!  Kara was just initiated into the "being pooped on by Jakob" club!  It was great.  She got sprayed by poop (as did our carpet).  Thank goodness for the carpet cleaner.  We were laughing so hard.  And Jakob was just as relaxed as could be because he felt much better!

Jakob - The Zantac appears to be helping Jakob with his reflux issues.  He is no longer withering around in pain and screaming after his feedings.  I am hoping with every ounce of my being that this continues.  We have just been putting the medicine in his 11am and 11pm bottle and he does not seem to notice it.  He is still a bit more fussy than Alex but he is able to be consoled through various methods.  I still think Jakob's biggest issue is his inability to self-soothe.  I guess this was evident in the womb though.  He was always moving around and kicking up a storm.  This is the same personality he has portrayed outside of the womb.  We had our best night of sleep last night.  We are officially living in the living room at all times.  This has helped with our mental stability quite a bit.  It helps that we don't spend so much time moving stuff back and forth each night.  It also ensures that at least one of us is getting sleep upstairs.  Because Kara is working each day I try to make certain that she is getting sleep at night.  Plus my mom has been able to come over in the evenings for a couple of hours to allow me to shower and take a quick nap. It is amazing how much awake time one can bide with just an hour nap.  Both boys were able to sleep in their Rock-N-Plays last night for the first time since they came home from the hospital.  I am hoping it continues.  Last night Jakob was awake from 5pm - Midnight.  I am hoping this was a fluke because an overtired baby is not always the easiest to put to bed.  It is now 6:30pm and he is not wide awake like yesterday.  He was awake a bit after his feeding but has now fallen asleep in his swing.  We shall see what happens tonight.  Both boys are alternating between 40 mL and 50 mL each feed.  Both boys still love tummy time and both boys turn their head from side to side with no problem.  Jakob still loves to spend the day in his swing while Alex prefers to spend time in the vibrating chair.  

Alex - Our little man is doing very good.  There is not a whole lot to report.  He is dealing with a blocked tear duct so we are constantly wiping his crusty eye!  I am keeping a close "eye" (haha) on it in hopes that it does not get infected.  He seems to like the warm compress on his eye after he wakes from his naps.  Both boys still have the hematoma on their heads from the use of the vacuum at their birth.  The hematoma is much more defined on Alex's head.  I am told the hematoma should resolve itself within six to eight weeks.  Alex still does an amazing job sleeping in the Rock-N-Play at anytime of the day.

We had a friend take some pictures of the boys the other night.  We obviously cannot afford a professional so this was the next best thing.  And let me tell you ... the pictures turned out great!  Here are some pictures from the "photo shoot".

Jakob


Alex

Don't they melt your heart?

I am still exclusively pumping breast milk for the boys.  I have been able to freeze quite a bit of the milk which will help once the boys start increasing their feedings and also once I have to go back to work.  I have cut out my 2am pumping session which has helped my mental stability quite a bit.

That is all for now!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment