Thursday, June 7, 2012

it's all a blur

The boys are 26 days old.  Really?

Jakob - We are making some improvements with Mr. Jakob.  We had a visiting nurse come today to check on the boys (and me) and Jakob weighed in at 6 lbs 1 oz.  The zantac appears to be working to reduce some of the reflux issues that Jakob is experiencing after each meal.  We also try to keep Jakob sitting up in the boppy for a few minutes after eating to get his meal to digest.  Both boys are starting to wake about 30 minutes prior to each feed session.  We are consistently giving Jakob 50 mL at each feeding and we might start increasing that amount to about 55 mL as there are times Jakob is still searching for food after each feeding.  We still have "meltdown" time at night with Mr. Jakob.  This is the hardest part of each day.  The "meltdown" can begin as early as 5pm but it usually does not begin until 8pm.  The meltdown period will usually last until Midnight.  The best stretch of time for the boys is between 3am and 10am.  They are angels!  We know that Jakob loves to be swaddled whenever he is having a meltdown.  He just cannot manage to soothe himself (something a twin unfortunately needs to learn).  We purchased a Moby Wrap and we are trying to use that during the day when Jakob is not consolable.  We also purchased a Wombie and we are going to try to use that at night when Jakob is having a "meltdown".  At the moment Jakob is taking a nap in the Wombie and he seems to be perfectly content in the Rock-N-Play.  The boys can now turn their head side-to-side when on their tummy and both boys have rolled from their stomach to their back during a tummy time session.  We are going to hope that the boys start to be able to tell the difference between "night' and "day" as soon as possible!



Alex - Mr. Alex has found his vocal cords!  He is still "Mr. Chill" but is also experiencing a "mini-meltdown" session each day.  The difference between Alex and Jakob though is in Alex's ability to self-soothe.  I can put a pacifier in Alex's mouth and he will only start crying again when the pacifier falls out of his mouth.  Today Alex weighed in at a whooping 5 lbs 10 oz!!  He is putting on weight at an amazing speed.  I think this accounts for the long periods of sleep!  We are consistently giving Alex 50 mL at each feeding.  He does not seem to be interested in more food at this time.  Alex still loves to be swaddled in his receiving blanket.  Alex tends to be a bit fussy between 8 pm and Midnight.  


I have been struggling a bit with pumping this past week but seem to have gotten over the hurdle once again.  I had another painful plugged milk duct.  I actually thought I was getting an infection because I got a big red spot on my right breast.  However, the red spot never got any worse and I never got a fever.  I spent a lot time massaging the spot and making certain that I completely emptied my breasts at each pumping session.  I had eliminated the 2 am pump session but I think that may have caused the plugged duct.  The visiting nurse today suggested that I gradually eliminate the 2 am pump session.  This means I should get up at 2 am and only pump enough to relieve any engorgement that I have at the time.  Eventually my body will notice the change in my "demand" and my supply will adjust accordingly.  I just need to eliminate this pumping session before I go back to work.  I have also started taking the vitamin Lecithin which is suppose to help woman who constantly experience plugged milk ducts.  I am consistently getting 6 oz at each pumping session.  We are really getting a significant freezer supply.  I actually had to ban Kara from purchasing any frozen foods at the moment because we are running out of room.  I just want to get as much as a freezer stash as possible before I go back to work and cut back on my pumping sessions.  Plus the boys will start eating more at each feed.

Kara and I are doing good.  We both have our moments.  My favorite time of each day is our 5am feeding session.  It is my best time of the day (I've always been a morning person even when I'm only sleeping 3 hours at night).  The sun is just starting to come up and the boys are usually in a really good mood.  This is the feeding session that I let Kara sleep through because she has to go to work in the evening and cannot take a nap.  I feed the boys and then we play on the mat for a bit.  Both boys are usually back to sleep by 6:30 am.  I clean bottles in the kitchen and then at 7 am I take the boys upstairs to wake up Momma K.  We all cuddle in bed for a bit before Kara gets up to take a shower.  The boys and I then take a quick nap before the 8 am feeding session.  Now compare this to my least favorite part of the day ... The 11 pm and 2 am feeding session.  The boys definitely express their emotions during this feeding session and at times I get frustrated when both boys are screaming at the top of their lungs.  I try to block it out but it gets difficult.  It would be different if I only had one baby but because there are two babies I can only soothe one baby at a time.  The other just has to cry it out.  This breaks my heart.  But eventually the crying does stop and we look forward to the next morning.

That is all for now.  I'm sure I am forgetting to mention something of great importance!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment