Friday, January 8, 2016

a scare

I am now 13w1d pregnant.  My greatest wish is a healthy full term baby that arrives in July 2016.  And secondary to that desire was my wish for a completely uneventful pregnancy.  That wish dissolved into a million little pieces this past weekend.  I woke-up on Saturday (12w2d) with a backache on my lower left side.   I immediately had a bit of fear.  The backache completely mirrored the backache I get about 24 hours before I start my period each month.  I continued on with my day.  Before I went to bed that night I started to get some cramping in my lower belly.  It had been a long day and I thought perhaps I was dehydrated.  I feel asleep as normal.  I got woken-up by Alex at about 4:30am on Sunday (12w3d) morning.  He had wet the bed and needed to be changed into new pajamas.  Of course when I woke-up I had to pee.  It had been all night.  But Alex was upset and so of course I focused on getting Alex taken care of before I took care of business.  I was sitting on the floor getting Alex in his clean pajamas when I felt a sudden gush.  I was immediately soaked.  I giggled to myself and told Alex, “Oh boy.  Mama just peed her pants.”  But when I stood up I realized it was blood.  I immediately panicked.  And cried.  I calmly asked Alex to go wake-up Mommy.  But the time Alex managed to actually get Kara awake the bleeding had slowed down some.  I sat on the toilet for about 10 more minutes and it eventually let up all together.  I knew in the back of my mind that there was a possibility that I still had that blood clot that the RE mentioned at 5 weeks.  I just kept praying that it was the blood clot working itself out of my body.  Once I got up I called the doctor on-call at the OB.  I knew there was nothing I could do but I needed to call for my peace of mind.  The OB told me to sit tight for the day unless the bleeding and/or pain got unmanageable and I felt that I needed to go to the ER.  That is the last place I wanted to go.  So I just took it as easy as possible.  My parents took the boys for part of the day to give Kara and me a much needed rest.  And the bleeding slowed to just some “old blood” spotting.  I still had the cramping and the lower backache though.  I called my OB in the AM and they got me in for an u/s ASAP.  I was a nervous wreck.  The only thing calming me down was the fact that the bleeding had stopped and my pain was not any worse.  The u/s tech (who we love) immediately got the baby up on the screen and went “My … baby has a big head!” …. (cue immediate relief) … cause that’s my kid!!!  The baby was just fine.  The u/s took a look around and she could no longer see an obvious clot.  So we think baby got mad about something and kicked it out of me.  There was some questionable areas that might cause me some bleeding issues in the future but the u/s tech could not be certain.  So that was the extent of the appointment.  I went on to have another minor bleeding episode later that afternoon.  Since that episode I have only had periods of “old blood” spotting.  The backache is gone and the cramping is at a minimum.  I wish I could say I’m not worried.  But I am.  I will always worry.  But I am taking it one day at a time.  

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment