Friday, July 27, 2012

big fat FAIL

We were wrong.  Jakob definitely needs to be on the Zantac.  We had four glorious medicine free days and then BAM! the old Jakob reappeared.  And let's just say I did not miss the old Jakob.  It is impossible to console Jakob when he is dealing with the acid issues.  He withers around after eating and tightens his entire body.  He also does this scary "holding my breath" and "foaming at the mouth" thing that I can do to live without for the rest of my life.  His scream is so different from the "I'm bored", the "I'm tired", and the "I'm hungry" scream.  It breaks my heart into a million little pieces.  We immediately put Jakob back on the medication and within 48 hours we had our little guy back to feeling better.  I really struggled alone on Monday and Tuesday evening while Jakob was feeling bad.  I called my mother in tears on Tuesday evening because I was terrified of holding a screaming Jakob for hours on end.  There was nothing I could do to help him feel better.  Thankfully the misery for Jakob only lasted until Wednesday and I was back to being able to somewhat competently care for both boys alone.  However, I am banning my mother from ever taking another vacation!  It's just nice to have some help a few nights a week.

I successfully did bath time by myself this week.  This is a huge accomplishment for me.  Most people (including Kara) would not bat an eye doing bath time by themselves.  But for some reason bath time has always made me super nervous.  I'm afraid of dropping a wet baby.  But since I am going to be alone in the evenings and we want bath time to be part of our bedtime routine I knew I had to jump feet first into the tub at some point.  So bath time was not a complete fail but I still have some learning to do.  My goal is to someday have babies who do not scream during bath time.  No matter how hard I try the boys do not stop screaming during bath time.  I even try to sing, "rubber ducky your the one.  you make bath time so much fun." but for some reason this makes them cry even more.  I get the message.  No singing.

Yesterday Alex followed Kara around the living room for the first time!  Alex was sitting in the bumbo (this little boy has amazing head control) when I got home from work.  I went over to give him some snuggles so Kara got up and went into the kitchen.  I noticed Alex follow her like a hawk to the kitchen.  I told Kara to start walking around the living room to see if he would continue to follow her.  And he did!!  It was so neat to watch.  Now if only we can get him to smile for us ... Jakob on the other hand smiles all the time!

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Poor little Jakob. The "I'm in pain" cry is the hardest one to hear so I can only imagine how tough that has been for his mamas. At least now you know the medicine is a must and will help to ease some of that pain.

    I can't believe Alex is already in the Bumbo! Go Alex!

    ReplyDelete