Wednesday, January 15, 2014

a semi-black cloud

The days since our Christmas celebration have felt jumbled into one never-ending day.  We have had a string of “bad” luck that have simply made for one tired family.  I think we all need a vacation.  I am hesitant to even define our luck as “bad” simply because it has just been tiny “bad” events but over the days those “bad” events tend to pile-up and just plum wear a person out.  So what’s been going on?

* The boys have been sick.
* Mommy and Momma have been sick.
* Alex refuses to sleep when he is sick but Mommy and Momma really want to sleep when we are sick.
* Alex screams when he is sick. A lot.
* Alex just screams in general all the time.  And cries.
* The temper tantrums have increased significantly around our house.  And get even worse when toddlers are sick.
* The boys only drink milk when they are sick.  They went on a food hunger strike for over a week.
* They like to throw food when they get mad.  And food can be expensive.
* Kara got into a (minor) car accident over the weekend.  A teenager got confused and hit Kara head-on (at a slow speed).
* Kara had to call off work because of the accident.  And now she has to make up the time on what was going to be a family day.  Stupid rules.
* Alex and I missed gymnastics class because of the car accident.  And that costs money.
* Our dog Gretel has a slipped disk in her neck.  She is hurting and fairly immobile.
* I drove the passenger side mirror of our other non-damaged car into the garage beam that separates the two sides of our garage.
* We got to chase our other (very fast and healthy) dog around the neighborhood Saturday night in the pouring rain and the dark.  
* I managed to whack my face (hard) on the car door.  The cursed car.  I look like Kara beat me up.  
* Did I mention I proceeded to collide with another car only 48 hours after Kara got in a car accident?  It’s really cursed.  I swerved into the other lane to avoid a teenager who jumped off the curb to yell at the people in the car in front of me.  I appreciate it careless teenager.
* It will be 5 weeks since Alex was able to go to speech therapy due to weather closures, therapist sickness, and holiday closures.
* The communication struggles are really increasing around the house.

So I know I owe you all a 20 month update.  And I am working on it.  But the last few nights I have simply wanted to crawl into bed (wearing a football helmet of course) and let my brain rot while watching Netflix.

You know what’s funny though … There has been a lot of good moments and I’ve still never been happier!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment