Monday, September 2, 2013

just buy the kid a goat

I have a lot of updates.  And they are not in any chronological order.  And I am tired so you get the cliff notes version!

We took the boys to the zoo today.  We have a zoo membership so when we do head to the zoo it is typically only for a couple of hours before the crowd gets too crazy.  And we knew that because today was Labor Day all of the animals should be out.  And we were right!  It was a great visit.

Jakob is a bit indifferent about the animals.  He really just loves the chance to get out of his stroller from time to time and run around like a mad man.  And today was no exception.

 
But Alex is going to be our animal fanatic.  The boy loves the animals.  We got to see baby snow leopards!  And the polar bears!  And a manatee!  And a grizzly bear!  And flamingos!  And elephants!  And bison! And a ton of fish in the aquarium!  And then we visited the barn to see the goats and the sheep.  And Alex was beside himself with excitement (we know that Grandpa Park would be thrilled).  I guess all we need to do is get the boys some goats!


We would lift him up to see the goats and he would just babble away while pointing at them.  I think Alex would have pulled himself into the pen with the goats if we hadn't been there to play referee.  He had a blast!

The boys have also been a bit under the weather the last couple of days.  They just have stuffy noses and both have been cranky men.  They are also working on some new teeth.  So it was great for them to be distracted for a bit.

Oh and did I mention that we have been without an air conditioner for 4 days?  And did I mention that it has been upwards of 90 degrees each day?  And did I mention the boys have been sick?  Oh ... And did I mention that we decided this weekend would be a good time to drop to one nap a day?  Can anyone guess how our weekend has been?   Let's just say that tonight the boys were asleep at 7:15pm and I literally ran out of the nursery.  

So that has been our weekend in a nutshell.  It has just been extremely stressful.  None of it alone is horrible.  We count ourselves as extremely blessed which is why Kara and I have done our best to not complain through the last several days.  But the little things do start to build-up and Kara and I have taken it out on each other on more than one occasion.  The last several days have not been our finest moments as parents and as a couple.  I keep telling Kara that we are going to get divorced before we get married ....

Marriage?  Did I say the "m" word?

I told you there was a lot to talk about (and I'm only giving the cliff notes version).  So unless you have been living under a rock the last couple of months you will know that a lot of changed in this country.  I mentioned the repeal of DOMA in a previous blog entry.  And then on August 29th (a day that is typically associated with sadness as it is the day my amazing Grandfather passed away on in 2001) the IRS announced that all legal same-sex marriages would be recognized for federal tax purposes and so in the most romantic way possible I sent the following text message to Kara, "So when you are you going to make me an honest woman?"  Obviously our ultimate dream come true would be for the state of Ohio to recognize our marriage.  But Kara and I have said all along that when the time comes that not being married actually provides a disadvantage to our family then we would do whatever we needed to do to get married.  And while getting married would actually be a financial disadvantage to us from a yearly tax filing purpose it would be a significant financial advantage should something happen to one of us.  Plus should we ever need to use the other's employer sponsored health insurance plan it would be done so on a before tax basis instead of an after tax basis as it is done now.  So that means in the next several months Kara and I have decided to travel to New York to officially get married.  Whoa!  My heart beats a bit faster with those words.  But don't get too excited ... The actual date will probably be kept quiet, except from our immediate family, until after the actual event and the only people who will be at the actual marriage is Kara and me! (well and of course a random witness and an officiant).  There will be no pomp and circumstance.  But Kara and I do hope to turn it into our first "kid free" vacation since the boys were born .... Grandma and Grandpa Heitzman ... Will you babysit??  I couldn't be more excited to marry the most amazing woman in the world!  See?  I told you I was super blessed.

And one last random discussion for this blog entry.  Alex went to his first gymnastics class this past weekend and he had a SUPER AWESOME time!!  I was so proud of my little boy.  There were about 6 other students in the class between the ages of about 16 months to 3 years old.  The instructor was great.  The class is super unstructured in that while our class rotates to different stations every 15 minutes or so there is complete independence at each rotation.  The instructor demonstrates what a typical 3 year old should be able to accomplish and then each parent and child is free to work on that skill with the provided equipment.  The kids still learn to interact with other kids and also to "wait their turn" but there is a lot of freedom with the class.  Alex got to hang from a bar and learned how to jump on a trampoline!  Alex giggled on more than one occasion during the class and even listened to the instructor as she worked one on one with him.  I am excited to go to more classes and I really hope Alex continues to enjoy them.  And he got a super awesome hand stamp at the end of class.

Mary

4 comments:

  1. I totally get what you mean by divorce before marriage. ;) While it's important we laugh at ourselves and joke about the stress parenting can put on a relationship, just know you're not alone. Me and G go through our share of ups and downs, especially when we got back from Denver and Grace decided she no longer wanted to sleep in her crib. Several nights full of crying until she made herself sick (twice) made for some very irritable mamas... blog post on that episode coming soon.

    I'm so EXCITED that you two are getting hitched! I was totally shocked when the IRS made the announcement. Wonderful things seem to be happening for the LGBT community every month. It's so awesome.

    And YAY for gymnastics. I had so many intentions of putting Grace in gym and swimming lessons this summer but totally dropped the ball. Good for you for keeping them active. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for getting married! That's wonderful news!

    Crazy how different your boys are, it's fun to watch their personalities grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited for you two! So happy for you, we are doing much the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful news - i'm so excited for you and kara!! that's wonderful and i'm very happy for you both. you're an amazing couple and such wonderful parents to jakob and alex. <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete