Monday, February 4, 2013

eating habits

We have started to notice some changes in eating habits around these parts.  And of course because we have "little men" I always get paranoid that the boys are not getting enough to eat.  But I know in reality they are probably doing just fine.  Jakob is on a "bottle strike" and is only drinking about 20 oz oz a day.  Alex is usually on target with the bottle and will drink about 25 oz a day.  I'm just worried Jakob is not getting enough "good" to eat.  But at the same time it could be completely normal.  I just can't really find a clear answer.  Are they eating too much solid food??  I don't know.  Perhaps?  The boys are both increasing the amount of solid food they eat at each meal.  And everything I read indicates to follow your kids lead in the solid food department.  They eat between 3.5 oz - 5.0 oz at each meal and we eat solid food at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Jakob will ALWAYS eat solid foods at each sitting.  He literally just sits with his mouth open and waits for us to shovel it in.  We do give bottles before each meal because we want the breast milk to be the main source of nutrition.  I got paranoid last night because Jakob only took 2 oz of breast milk before bed.  I thought for sure he would wake-up in two hours and demand some food.  Nope.  Not a peep.  Alex is hit or miss with the solid food.  There are times that he goes to town and other times he sits with his jaw clinched shut.  We are also working on introducing the boys to different textures.  Outside of the typical purees the boys have eaten pancakes, graham crackers, noodles, and steamed vegetables.  I think Alex is more inclined to want to feed himself.  Jakob on the other hand gets frustrated and would rather someone just shovel it in for him.  I think we are going to drop bottle feeds from 5 times a day to 4 times a day.  This might help.  The only good thing in regards to the bottle strike ... there is plenty of breast milk to go around!!  The boys have not had any formula for a week.  And they most they have gotten in any one day since they were born is 5 oz.  This still makes me really happy.  Also Jakob is getting really good with a straw sippy cup.  He can drink out of it like a champ.  Alex ... not so much.  He likes to play with the sippy cup but that's about it.  I think the bottle strike is impacting me too because I feel like my baby boys are getting further and further away from the baby stage and closer and closer to the toddler stage.  I'm not ready.  At all.

And now for some cuteness ...


And did I mention we officially have a crawler in the house??  

Mary  

1 comment:

  1. Beyond cuteness! Omygoodness, they rock the hoodies! :)
    It sounds like they are both hitting new milestones! :) hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Xoxo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete